[clug] The 1st Internet Tax is here.

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 06:35:12 GMT 2008

Michael Still said:
> Hal Ashburner wrote:
>> Michael Still said:
>>> Well, Google Checkout is pretty close. Only Google has your credit card
>>> details, and you don't need to even give the vendor your email address
>>> (Google will proxy that traffic and stop it if you wish).
>> Even if I were to decide I trust google inc today, why would anyone trust
>> them in perpetuity? It's easy to imagine a google in 15 years that is
>> nothing like today's google, staffed by different people, dealing with
>> different political systems but with all the data gathered today.
>> Actual privacy is a good thing.
>
> I'm happy for you to feel that way. I was addressing the "perhaps there is
> something Google could do here" thing. If you don't like a product, just
> don't use it.

Sure. I generally don't use products I don't like, you might be the same
yourself. We'll tell each other our individual preference for low pressure
forced egg contents extraction next. ;)
I'm not trying to mount an anti-google campaign either. Just drawing
the distinction between the product that was requested and the one you
described. The distinction is one that I feel is important to understand.
Maybe everyone understands this so well that it's wholly redundant to point
it out. That'd be nice.
(He said signing a thing that will be archived in multiple locations to be
searchable by anyone with his real name from a gmail account).

Hal

--
"I went into a general store, and they wouldn't sell me anything specific".
		-- Steven Wright