[clug] The 1st Internet Tax is here.

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 05:15:44 GMT 2008

Michael Still wrote:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> If you /must/ store credit card details then a dedicated system used
>> only for payments is the sanest approach, and should cost you less than
>> ten thousand dollars all told, including setup and integration.
>
> With encryption, a separate firewall, good access control and logging,
> and a locked cage in a secure data center.
>
> This is one of the reasons I don't buy with credit cards from small
> online vendors by the way. I wouldn't be surprised to find that 99% do
> it wrong.
>
> Mikal

I'd like to see a whole nother online payment paradigm made available.

What I would like to be able to do is to rock up to a local eg.
convenience store and buy a token (think of a phonecard or similar)
with cash or whatever which I can then use to purchase stuff off of
the Internet, without giving up my (personal, identity-revealing)
credit card details which can be used to track my eg. purchasing
patterns etc.

Paypal sort of goes some of the way, but I still need to get credit
into it somehow and it again uses a single identity for all purchases.

I suspect that credit card purchasing online is a "good-thing" as far
as law-enforcement may be concerned, but there are clear civil-liberty
issues involved.

Maybe Google can come up with something?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.