[clug] The 1st Internet Tax is here.

Seth Turnbull seth.turnbull at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:56:44 GMT 2008

Here is some additional information. I should have provided more information
vs. just ranting in my original post and I should have provided better links
to the information.

Agreeing to being liable for being hacked is one thing but for everyone with
an ecommerce server out there to have to be tested or pay this monthly "tax"
is huge.
This is a huge money maker for the banks. This isn't just a liability issue
for the server administrator and developer. This opens the door for
segregation of the Internet.
What's next? Pay $20.00 per month to have email access over your land line
or wireless? That's pretty far out there I know...........but I would never
have thought of this
either.

After 4 years of planning this is what they came up with? A white paper and
fees?

I called and spoke with an "assessor". I asked what software(s) are listed
as compliant?
I asked if my base system was considered in compliance.
- FreeBSD
- Apache server (version)
- MySql
    - I also asked if MySql built in encryption was considered "enough".

The answer I got was "we haven't white listed any software but rather the
additional implementation of security measures you have deployed".
Understanding that the majority
of computers still user MicroSoft I can see why they wouldn't list an
opperating system.

I asked "with out root access to my server how do you plan to accurately
test/see what additional measures I have taken as the majority of the items
listed in you the white paper
are only features that a root user would have access and knowledge of".
Answer: "That's a good question"..

I'm waiting on a return call from someone who performs testing.

Like I said in my original email, I have no issue making sure I conform to
this standard but I have great issues with being charged a monthly fee or a
per server fee.

http://www.greensheet.com/PriorIssues-/061102-/8.htm

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/

mymerchantoffice.com