[clug] ubuntu or fedora for mythTV

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 11 09:19:06 GMT 2008

G'Day Paul

Whilst I have no practical experience with Myth on Fedora/Red Hat based
distros, I can vouch for Mythbuntu as a tool to enable getting Myth up
and running with the minimum of fuss.

I have now done 5 installs using this tool and have found it to be
pretty solid with regard to getting everything set up for a functional
Myth Box as it manages add on packages, users and permissions very well.
My last install, a frontend/backend set up took just on 40 minutes to
install the operating system and Myth, configure the backend and
frontend and install the shepherd scripts and a further 25 minutes or so
to populate the programme guide. A sharp contrast to my first ever
attempt at getting Myth running.

Mythbuntu is not perfect in it's execution particularly for Australian
conditions (very USA centric) but a combination of Mythbuntu and
Shepherd certainly makes it easy to create a media centre. An additional
benefit is the "Weekly Builds" repo if you like to stay at the bleeding
edge of Myth development.

I guess the easiest way to compare is to drop a copy onto a PC with a TV
card in it and evaluate the functionality in comparison to what you are
used to.

HIH

Regards

--

*Ian Bardsley*

Phone: +61 0423 195 927 (mobile only)

E-mail: ifb777 at tpg.com.au <mailto:ifb777 at tpg.com.au>

Web: http://ozybard.homeip.net/fridgedoor

Skype: mumnian.......On Line 8pm – 11pm Aust Eastern Daylight Saving
Time (0900 Hrs – 1200 Hrs GMT)

/<<< [That which you accept is all you can ever expect to receive] >>>/