[clug] Kubuntu 8.10 first impressions

Michael James michael at james.st
Tue Nov 11 01:08:46 GMT 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:18:02 am Paul C. Leopardi wrote:
> Along with many others, I feel that it was too early
> for the Kubuntu packagers to remove KDE 3.5
> and leave users to cope with 4.1.2 in Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.

Hmmm. OpenSuSE 11.0 offered KDE4.0 as an install option.
It lacked multiple desktops and other key features. (for me)
I tried upgrading to the bleeding edge of Factory KDE4.1
It had a more complete feature set, but some interesting bugs.
For example the scroll wheel could scroll terminal windows.
Well, blocks of text scrolled, leaving other blocks of text stationary.
So I had to scroll back till the lines re-alligned,
 and be careful NOT to use that feature.
Then there were the daily random desktop freezes,
 the whierdness recovering a saved desktop layout...

To drop support for KDE3 and just chuck your users out there...
Sir Humphrey would call it, "Beyond brave."

michaelj

--
There is no perl one line hack
 that a page of java won't do more elegantly.