[clug] uPnP servers for linux

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 13:50:52 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> In my case I just use samba, works a treat with command-k and a
>> favourite, add to that an alias on the desktop and keychain and it
>> works fine.
>>

> I've had trouble with video not being reliable over samba for some reason.
> The video is really jerky when it plays back even though the data rate is
> really low (200mb for an hour). I ended up figuring that its some sort of
> MacOS caching issue, and moved to NFS.

I also use a linux box running samba to store my media.  No problems using
Macs as clients.

If you're using VLC on Mac OSX to play media from a samba server, you might
need to adjust VLC's caching preference:

Preferences / (check Advanced)
  Input Codecs
    File
      caching value ( I use 500ms).
(relaunch to get the new value)

Also, to auto-mount the server on boot you can drag an alias of the mounted
server to the Login Items list in the Accounts area of System Preferences.

Just like a bought one!

--
George Bray, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.