[clug] retail software

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 5 04:06:07 GMT 2008

Hi David

I think that there probably is a small market for retail packaged
software written for the linux platform but only where there are gaps in
the availability of functional FOSS software. For example, in the area
of video processing software, linux is quite weak and although there are
a myriad of FOSS packages out there that will enable a user to do
anything they want they are in general incomplete and/or badly
documented and a user needs to use avariety of tools to achieve an outcome.

I recently wanted to send a brief video message to some former army
comrades attending a re-union in the UK that I was unable to attend in
person. To achieve this, I ended up using 5 different FOSS packages and
spent several hours to cobble together a 3 minute clip with an
introduction, some background music, my video message and a couple of
still images and convert the whole lot into .WMV format that my post 60
yo comrades would be able to view using Media Player on a notebook.

Had I been able to go to "Hardly Normal" or somewhere and buy a
comprehensive piece of software say like VideoStudio that would run on
my linux only PCs, I would have done.

FOSS software works for me in 99% of cases and I don't find mainstream
FOSS apps difficult to use. The only thing that I see with commercial
software is that in general, the GUI is prettier than the open source
alternative but for my level of usage, I dont see any functionality
differences, you just adapt.

HIH

--

*Ian Bardsley*

Phone: +61 0423 195 927 (mobile only)

E-mail: ifb777 at tpg.com.au <mailto:ifb777 at tpg.com.au>

Web: http://ozybard.homeip.net/fridgedoor

Skype: mumnian.......On Line 8pm – 11pm Aust Eastern Daylight Saving
Time (0900 Hrs – 1200 Hrs GMT)

/<<< [That which you accept is all you can ever expect to receive] >>>/