[clug] Re: OT: Hosting? (linux Digest, Vol 71, Issue 5, Message 6)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 23:14:20 GMT 2008

Carlo,

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:53:01 +0100
>
> I do off-site backups (unison) to my web hosting site which has ssh
> access. I only have 1.5Gb so I'm looking for hosting with more space.
> The Linode 360 plan looks good but on the other hand I don't think I
> want to deal with securing my server. I really just want disk space
> with ssh access and basic Apache/PHP/whatever. I'm based in Europe now
> so a service with servers in Australia isn't too useful (not for
> another year or two anyway).
>
> What do you people use?

	For "pure storage", I'd consider Amazon AWS's S3. you could possibly
use an EC2 frontend for "conventional" FTP or SCP access to S3, but I
think the cheapest you can run one of these is US$70/mo if you need
it up all the time. If your update frequency is lower, you could use
one of the cheaper solutions below and interface to S3 and/or start-
up an EC2 instance on-demand (may require a bit of creative coding
and a mind-shift into the impermanence of EC2 instances).
	I use dreamhost for casual/personal stuff. They offer "virtually
unlimited" bandwidth and storage and are very flexible with a
sensible web control panel. There are a lot of "off the shelf" tools
for building web sites, email addresses, DNS setups, etc. They can do
Web-DAV for NFS-like behaviour if you need it too. Things to keep in
mind: It's shared, virtualised systems, so you can be affected by
other users' processes and you can't have root access (but it's
remarkable how much their tools let you do despite this). They
operate on a low-margin "gym membership" model with no SLA, so
there's a chance that they could have a resource-demand surge and go
out of business (I think it's unlikely though). You can't have long-
running processes and CPU hogs can and will be shot out of the sky
without notice (I've had it done no me).
	Another alternative for long-running Internet presence is vpslink
(Spry), which offer complete control of really tiny virtual machines
with static IPs for a pittance. The storage is cramped on the bottom-
plans, but if it were a frontend to one of the larger-storage
services above, that may be workable for you. The root-level access
is great. They seem to operate on a similar funding model as
DreamHost, so they may just disappear one day.
	Similar to VPSLink is slicehost. However slicehost offer more
"meaty" plans and prices.

Hope that heals,

M0les.

--