[clug] Audio file formats

David david at tulloh.id.au
Mon May 19 04:48:25 GMT 2008

Kristy A. Bennett wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am sorry I haven't yet transitioned to the LinuxSA crowd!
>
> I have some 'work' to do that will involve audio recordings and need to
> buy a clue or ten as this is an area where I have no experience whatsoever.
>
> With the aid of Sound Recorder I can record in four formats: ogg, wav,
> spx and flac.  I understand the difference in quality but have no idea
> of cross-platform, cross-media-player-device implications of these
> formats.  Can someone clue me in?

Most media devices I've seen will play wav files.  There are a few that
play ogg-vorbis and flac files but the iPod doesn't support them which
means you are out of the majority of the media player device field.  For
media player devices I'd suggest that mp3 is still the best compromise.

Wavs should work cross-platform, all of the others will probably require
codecs, an issue I remain wilfully ignorant of.

I've used Audacity to do some audio file tweaking in the past but
haven't used it extensively enough to comment on it's quality.

David