[clug] DNS weirdness

Andrew Loughhead andrew.loughhead at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:27:25 GMT 2008

This isn't really a linux question but it is a network question so
hopefully on topic enough to keep people happy.

My ISP is Netspeed.  A couple of particular websites I want to view,
www.intelligentflight.com.au and forum.intelligentflight.com, seem to be
doing weird things in Netspeeds DNS. Right now, if I dig either of these
names on Netspeeds primary DNS (dig @203.31.48.7
www.intelligentflight.com.au) I get status SERVFAIL. If I dig against
their secondary DNS (dig @203.31.48.11 www.intelligentflight.com.au) I
get status NOERR and the name is resolved. At other times of day the
primary DNS works though, but most nights at 8 or 9 it doesn't. Its
making it a bit tedious to actually access the websites. No other web
sites I use seem to suffer like this.  Is it possible to tell if this
likely to be an issue with Netspeed DNS, or with the web sites hosting
service, or something else?

cheers
Andrew.