[clug] Warning message

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Sun May 4 00:30:00 GMT 2008

keith sayers wrote:
> 	I have recently moved to Suse 10.3 and when I log on I get a pair of warning
> messages :
> 	Your hard disk drive is failing!  S.M.A.R.T. message :
> 	Device : /dev/sda, 4294967292 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
> and :
> 	Your hard disk is failing!  S.M.A.R.T. message :
> 	Device: /dev/sda, 4294967292. Offline uncorrectable sectors
>
> 	So far as I know there is nothing wrong with either of my hard drives - could
> anyone explain this please and perhaps tell me what I should do?

SMART is a system where the hard drive tries to warn of an impending
failure.  It's not perfect, my understanding is that occasionally you
will get SMART warnings and the drive will live for years, occasionally
it will fail without any warning.

Personally the annoyance and pain of losing a hard drive vastly
outweighs the cost, so I would believe it and replace the drive as soon
as possible.

David