[clug] Virgin Mobile Broadband with Linux Huawei E220

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Sat May 3 02:25:04 GMT 2008

Hi Hal,

I also use the Huawei 220 with 3. I am also using both ubuntu and
debian with it with kernel 2.6.24 and 2.6.22 respectively. I found
that I need to remove the sr_mod.ko module (or rename it) to force the
kernel to not load it. It seems that the huawei device looks like a
usb cdrom. If the kernel detects it as such I get a hard lockup
guaranteed within downloading between 5mb to 20mb and often even
sooner. There seem to be some interaction between the sr_mod module
and the usb_serial. This has been the case since at least kernel
2.6.18. Interestingly kernels 2.6.18 to about 2.6.21 didn't work at
all because it seems the usb serial was redesigned at that stage.

Although it does work in the end, this gets annoying because I cant
use my cdrom at the same time as the modem. Does anyone else
experience this? BTW I dont think its hardware related because it saw
this on at least 3 different systems.

Michael.