[clug] The joy of demos

Dale Shaw dale.shaw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:29:42 GMT 2008

Hi Brad,

('scuse the lazy top post)

I've done a bit with Exchange (5.5, 2000 and 2003 -- not 2007) and
would be happy to try to answer any questions you have. I wasn't at
the meet and this post of yours is the first I've seen of this
program.

I've deployed RPC over HTTP with Exchange 2003. It will be a bit of a
memory test, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Regarding Outlook/MAPI profiles, there are a number of methods of
populating fields like server name. The most commonly used one I've
seen is the Office Customisation Wizard, which generates a Microsoft
Installer transform (.mst) file you apply when installing Office (or
just Outlook). There are other Microsoft and 3rd party tools for
manipulating the profiles both pre- and post- MAPI client launch.

The user name field is usually pre-populated with the value
%USERNAME%, a Windows environment variable which expands on the first
launch of Outlook, and the server name field often references a DNS
CNAME that resolves to a 'real' Exchange server. Outlook automatically
resolves the mailbox server hosting the user's mailbox and populates
the server name field with the appropriate server. The home mailbox
server is stored as an attribute of the user object in AD.

I know Outlook 2007 has some new magical features to automate the MAPI
profile creation and setup, but I'm not sure how it works (never
investigated).

cheers,
Dale