[clug] Sendmail configuration

Neill Cox neill at ingenious.com.au
Wed Mar 19 22:48:58 GMT 2008

Hi Deepan,

This is an anti-spam measure specifically designed to stop people
sending mail from machines like yours (it's not a very effective ant-
spam measure, but that's another discussion).

To get around it you will need an email address with a domain that
resolves through DNS.  You might be able to just use your ISP issued
email address, but you would probably be better of registering your
own domain.  There are some very cheap .com registrars - around $10/
year or less.

Once you have got a domain to use you need to look at PHP's mail
configuration - you need to tell the mail function what address to use.

Have a look at http://au.php.net/mail

Last time I had to do this I actually couldn't get the built in mail
function to work with a from address.  I ended up using the pear mail
package instead.  I had to use the SMTP factory option to get it all
to work, but that probably says more about my PHP skills than anything
else.  The pear package is at http://pear.php.net/package/Mail

HTH,
Neill