[clug] Re: USB Bluetooth Device

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue Mar 18 10:33:04 GMT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:23:51 +1100
Rodney Peters <rodneyp at pcug.org.au> wrote:

> I don't have a bluetooth device, but did try to assist a beginner who had his
> mouse on one.
>
> After a lot of frustration, it turned out that the bluetooth drivers were a
> total furphy.  The device appeared to Linux as a USB device - the bluetooth
> protocol was totally contained between the dongle and whatever device that
> was actually controlling.
>
> You probably ought to be looking for USB devices instead.

Thanks to all that replied

My original question was a little naive, but the answers sent me looking.

I have an Ubuntu-7.04 setup and these comments are based on that.

Basically if you want to do anything with bluetooth, you need the bluez stuff, http://www.bluez.org/ and do all the reading (Install anything with 'bluetooth' in its name)

A specific device is set up once a connection is made to a device on a channel, thus a connection to device 0 will generate a /dev/rfcomm0 (there are a lot of red herrings in  /proc/bus/usb and /dev/usbxxxxxxx which should be totally ignored)

Steep learning curve for me, but at least I can now interrogate a bluetooth enabled phone using the at commands through minicom

Once again, thanks

Owen