[clug] Mutt and 'subscribe'

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Mon Mar 17 05:27:14 GMT 2008

On 15 Mar 2008, steve jenkin wrote:
> I get to use 'mutt' on a machine and I'd like to be able to tag
> various mail as 'List', so I can use 'D' then '~l'.  I can get a few
> lists working, but I haven't been able to work out just how 'mutt'
> does its matching.

According to metric(5), for 'lists' and 'subscribe', "Patterns use
regular expression.".

> I haven't been able to establish what the 'lists' keyword does...

'lists' adds the list to the list of known mailing lists, so things like
~l, list-reply (L) and the '%L' format work.  'subscribe' tells mutt
(unsurprisingly) that it is a list you are subscribed to, and so if
$followup_to is on, creates a Mail-Followup-To[1] header that doesn't
list you (i.e. asks people replying to your mailing list posts to not CC
you, since you'll get the list copy anyway).  I don't think it differs
from 'lists' unless you enable $followup_to.

The "Handling Mailing Lists" section of the Mutt manual[2] explains it
in a bit more detail.

-rob

[1] http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html
[2] /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz on Ubuntu and Debian

--
The sci-fi religion that doesn't take all your money.