[clug] HP Laptop Mic

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Sun Mar 16 21:16:12 GMT 2008

Deepan wrote:
> [snip]
> But  /proc/asound/version still shows me the old
> version. What have I missed ? Do I need to
> recompile the kernel ?

I'm assuming your previous kernel did not build alsa directly into the
kernel image, so you probably have the alsa modules from the kernel in
/lib/modules/ along with your new externally built modules (i.e. two
sets of alsa modules in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/).

Firstly, did you run 'depmod -a' to update the modules database?

Search /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ for alsa to see if you have two versions
(I'm guessing so). If from a package (like alsa-modules or alsa-driver),
you could un-install the old drivers by removing this package. But if
they were built as modules from the kernel, then you could just delete
them (and re-run depmod -a) or you could rebuild your kernel (though
unnecessary, just delete the modules).

If all else fails, on boot up you could rmmod the alsa driver and insmod
the _full path_ to your new module..

-c