[clug] ANU Lecture Recordings

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Wed Mar 12 01:16:16 GMT 2008

Thank you all very much for your help, on and off-list.

I've had some good advice which I hope will allow daughter to get the
files.

Long story short, there is provision for the files to be made available
as downloadable MP3s, but the lecturer has to specifically request that
the functionality be turned on. That seems completely arse-about to me.

I'll see if I can get daughter to request the lecturer to make the
request, though she's still rather in awe and may not feel comfortable.

I recommend to the good folks at the ANU that that be the default rather
than optional, with proprietary streaming audio as an option if anyone
wants it. (Yes, I know MP3 is proprietary too.)

The other recommendation I make is that they use HTML for things that
HTML can do and limit Java to that which is both necessary and not
doable any other way.

Again, serious thanks to everyone who replied. :-)

Cheers,

Fred