[clug] Re: USB Bluetooth Device

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Tue Mar 11 23:23:51 GMT 2008

I don't have a bluetooth device, but did try to assist a beginner who had his
mouse on one.

After a lot of frustration, it turned out that the bluetooth drivers were a
total furphy.  The device appeared to Linux as a USB device - the bluetooth
protocol was totally contained between the dongle and whatever device that
was actually controlling.

You probably ought to be looking for USB devices instead.

Rod

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 19:54:49 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> From:
> Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au>
>   To:
> linux at lists.samba.org
>   Date:
> Yesterday 19:54:09
>
> I intended to use the Perl module Device::Gsm to operate a USB bluetooth
> dongle, but the first thing it wanted to know was where the bluetooth
> device was (ie /dev/ttyS0 etc)
>
> Looking at dmesg for all Bluetooth entries I have
>

> [   67.122507] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.11
> [   67.122588] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
> [   67.122592] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
> [   67.183348] Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.9
> [   99.954418] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
> [   99.954423] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
> [  100.130472] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
> [  100.130489] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
> [  100.130491] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8
>

> None of the above don't seem to give any clues
>
> Also looked at these
>
> cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
> hciconfig -a
> cat /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf and lastly
> cat /etc/init.d/bluetooth
>
> but I can't glean a device from any of it.
>
> So I was just wondering how I go about determining what device is assigned
> to the bluetooth dongle.
>
> There is a character device radio0 but I suspect that belongs to the radio
> card
>
> All this on Ubuntu-7.04
>

> Could anyone advise how I find what device the dongle is attached to?
>

> TIA
>

> Owen

David Low
[clug] USB Bluetooth device