[clug] USB Bluetooth device

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:49:57 GMT 2008

I'm getting more and more displeased with gmail's quick reply... Here
is my reply to Owen which should have been onlist.

On 11/03/2008, Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au> wrote:
 > I intended to use the Perl module Device::Gsm to operate a USB
bluetooth dongle, but the first thing it wanted to know was where the
bluetooth device was (ie /dev/ttyS0 etc)

 >  Looking at dmesg for all Bluetooth entries I have
 >

 >  [   67.122507] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.11
 >  [   67.122588] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
 >  [   67.122592] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
 >  [   67.183348] Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.9
 >  [   99.954418] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
 >  [   99.954423] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
 >  [  100.130472] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
 >  [  100.130489] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
 >  [  100.130491] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8
 >

 >  None of the above don't seem to give any clues
 >
 >  Also looked at these
 >
 >  cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
 >  hciconfig -a
 >  cat /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf and lastly
 >  cat /etc/init.d/bluetooth
 >
 >  but I can't glean a device from any of it.
 >
 >  So I was just wondering how I go about determining what device is
assigned to the bluetooth dongle.

It's probably going to be 'hci0'. I thought that a device node would
 show up in /dev but testing it now with my dongle there doesn't appear
 to be any device nodes. You should still be able to use it as 'hci0'.
 You'll need to 'up' the interface first.

 Use `hcitool` from the 'bluez-utils' package:
 # hcitool hci0 up
 (an activity LED starts flashing on my dongle after upping it)

 You can then check that it's working by scanning for devices:
 # hcitool scan
 Scanning ...
        00:18:13:AA:BA:02       FooBar

 That should get you started.