[clug] USB Bluetooth device

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue Mar 11 08:54:09 GMT 2008

I intended to use the Perl module Device::Gsm to operate a USB bluetooth dongle, but the first thing it wanted to know was where the bluetooth device was (ie /dev/ttyS0 etc)

Looking at dmesg for all Bluetooth entries I have

[   67.122507] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.11
[   67.122588] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[   67.122592] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[   67.183348] Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.9
[   99.954418] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
[   99.954423] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[  100.130472] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[  100.130489] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[  100.130491] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8

None of the above don't seem to give any clues

Also looked at these

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
hciconfig -a
cat /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf and lastly
cat /etc/init.d/bluetooth

but I can't glean a device from any of it.

So I was just wondering how I go about determining what device is assigned to the bluetooth dongle.

There is a character device radio0 but I suspect that belongs to the radio card

All this on Ubuntu-7.04

Could anyone advise how I find what device the dongle is attached to?

TIA

Owen