[clug] [Maybe Job] Wanna run an ISP?

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Thu Mar 6 10:47:37 GMT 2008

Hey guys. This isn't a formal job posting per se., more of a request for
interest. It's commercial, sorry if I should flag that more clearly

Anyway, as some of you may be aware, I'm the ISP Manager for CBIT
Internet. Since that is now my second job, it mainly means I administer
and look after the servers (all Linux except one Windows 2000 webserver)
and catch any technical issues or queries that no one else at CBIT knows
how to resolve.

CBIT is an IT services firm, CBIT Internet is the ISP branch that
started to bring service customers' Internet connections under one
umbrella, and along with integrating my old ISP, branched out into
general public Internet services.

As mentioned, this is my second job, and I'd like to actually move on,
but I can't exactly walk away when there's no one else there who knows
Linux or our systems to the depth I do. (It's a small business, that's
not unusual, sadly.)

Really, I'd like someone to replace me. However, I realise that's not
likely to happen; the people who could step in and let me step out
immediately are almost certainly already quite gainfully employed.

On the other hand, this might be an excellent opportunity for a
Linux-savvy young person to start a promising career in Systems
Administration as well as Dealing With All The Associated Stuff That
Comes Up Because You Know Stuff.

And don't let relative youth deter you. I started the earlier ISP while
at uni, living in Fenner Hall. (That ISP went bust, mind you. So this
might _not_ be a good precedent. ^_^)

In short, I'm curious if there's anyone out there who's interested in
doing the sort of thing I've been doing. I _personally_ am flexible as
to how such an arrangement would work (I've been working remotely and
part-time since mid-2006) but the partners in CBIT might have more
specifically-formed ideas. (For example, they might feel that one of the
advantages of new person is that that person is not remote.)

So, if you're interested, let me know. It'll be particularly good if you
can give me some background and how you see this opportunity working,
and we can get together with the CBIT guys and see if there's something
workable there.

Nothing here is a promise that a job opening exists. I believe it's a
case of: if the right person comes forward and we can come to a suitable
arrangement, things will happen. If not, I fear the status quo will
continue to bear heavily upon me. ^_^

To give a bit of technical detail, we run FreeRADIUS, MySQL, Postfix,
courier-pop, a web ISP administration tool I wrote (It's awful. I
apologise to anyone who's had to gaze upon it. It's in PHP, but I can do
awful web interfaces in any language ^_^) We use Apache, and there's
Cricket and Nagios running.

The scripts that hang things together are all Perl. If this is an issue,
(ie. you're not a programmer or you just hate Perl) that is not an issue
for me, I can continue maintaining scripts.

If you _are_ a keen Perl programmer and/or web programmer, there's
plenty to do. ^_^

And of course, Debian/stable. If you're an adherent of the Debian Way,
then you will hopefully find this garden of mine pleasant on the eyes
and mind. If not, you may find it more of a tangled and terrifying
jungle. I am willing to act as both gardener and machete as needed.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/