[clug] USB (Digital) TV Tuners + Linux

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Mon Jun 30 00:38:20 GMT 2008

I was going to recommend AverMedia AverTV Volar which I bought online
from AusPCMarket, but upon checking the site I see they no longer carry
it. Other stores may do.

They do have various other products with 'Volar' in the brand (such as
the AverTV Volar X), but be warned that manufacturers seem to love to
change chipsets between similarly named products. My google-foo may be
weak, as I cant find any strong indication as to whether the Volar X is
the same chipset or not.

Anyway, if you're interested in tracking down a Volar, I set it up with
my existing MythTV install in five minutes; its not plug in and play,
but pretty close - firmware download is needed as described on
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerTV_DVB-T_Volar ; been using it
for months without hassle - I heartily recommend it.

It is a cheap, and hence bare-bones, adapter - it does only DVB, no
analogue input, no remote.