[clug] USB (Digital) TV Tuners + Linux

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 13:03:01 GMT 2008

Andrew Janke wrote:
> Anyone happen to know one that "just
> works" under Ubuntu Hardy and/or should be supported for providing
> Drivers for Linux?
>
> My wants are:
>
>    * "Just works" under Linux
>    * Must be USB based (I only use laptops at home thus no PCI).
>    * Bonus points for OSX + Vista
>    * External remote a plus
>    * Ability to work sans Computer a huge plus but doubtful.
> (typically via VGA ouput)
>    * PAL inputs for video conversion a big plus.
>
> I have played the google on this and for PCI it seems fairly clear cut
> but inconsistent for USB based stuff.

One I use happily enough as a data point for anyone revisiting the thread.
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Asus_My-Cinema-U3000_Mini
kernel.org 2.6.25-rc1 or better. Some vendors appear to have support on
earlier kernels. Downloading, building and installing the drivers is
pretty trivial.
No OSX, No remote, no PAL inputs. ~A$45-80. Nice and small (usb key sized)
http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-24742-810264.html
(NB has to be the 'mini', which is different from the U3000 that isn't
'mini' and is not supported under linux)