[clug] Re: Anyone used or seen the Asus Eeepc yet?

jim jim at amarooas.com.au
Sun Jun 29 00:57:19 GMT 2008

Paul C. Leopardi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a 701. It's now running Ubuntu Hardy, with Matt Oliver's and Tridge's
> help. It boots off the SD slot, in this case an 8GB Sandisk SDHC Class 6
> card. I had a 16GB Transcend card but it bricked. It also has 1GB memory,
> courtesy of Markus Hegland's previous laptop memory.
>
> I have found that it gets quite warm, especially when everything is on. This
> is a problem because closing the lid does not suspend the unit and it gets
> very hot. I did have frquency scaling switch on before the Transcend bricked,
> but it gave sluggish performance.
>
> So a few questions:
> 1. Has anyone gotten frequency scaling to perform well?
> 2. What about suspend to RAM and suspend to disk? In Ubuntu?
> 3. Any other hints on keeping the thing cool,
>    eg. use it outside at night in Canberra in winter?
>
> Best, Paul Leopardi

This works here for Hardy on 701 with the OS in the built-in drive.
(a) enter the shutdown menu (button at top right corner of screen)
(b) click on suspend
this seems to suspend OK, the power indicator (green light bulb symbol)
starts blinking

(c) to resume, "press any key does not work. Need press the power-on button
(d) it resumes almost - displays some error message on the console
(e) press Ctrl-Alt-F7 and enter the password when requested

Now it has resumed. I had to restart the pppoe, possibly due to the
error "no suspend for driver iburst?"

jim