[clug] Syntax-highlighting source code editors

Jack Kelly endgame.dos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 22:11:13 GMT 2008

Sam Couter wrote:
> Jack Kelly <endgame.dos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm glad to see Emacs finally getting some love on this thread.
>> It's hardly a struggle to use:
>
> I've been meaning to give emacs and viper-mode a try, just so I know
> what I'm missing. But I really really hate the Vulcan neck-pinch key
> combinations emacs likes. That's the biggest thing vi and vim have
> going for them.

The biggest suggestion I can make here is to make caps lock another
control key. If you don't use the CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL* all that
much, you'll hardly miss it. I use the following xmodmap fragment:

! Caps_Lock <- Another CTRL
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Caps_Lock

Beyond that, I'm not sure there's much relief. Maybe one of the more
advanced disciples of the Church of Emacs can help here?

> It's true that modal interfaces are not very intuitive, but they're
> very powerful given the constraint of keeping keystrokes simple and
> close to the home keys.

I agree. I worked through vimtutor once just so I could see what I was
missing. I prefer a rich set of editor macros.

*http://groups.google.com/group/capsoff/browse_thread/thread/7e86d12edc0763b0/d6fbd254c4a8df62
, though a search for "cruise control for cool" turns up no shortage of
material along the same theme.

-- Jack