[clug] Syntax-highlighting source code editors

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Fri Jun 27 22:58:43 GMT 2008

    >> Wow!  Emacs has only done that for 10 or 15 years!
    >>
    >> The number of features that Vim plays catch-up on is awesome...  ;-)

    Hal> There's a big assumption you're making there that you might
    Hal> find is incorrect.

Fact, not assumption!

font-lock mode was introduced into Emacs 19 (19.17) in July 1993:

+ Fri Jul  9 00:04:12 1993  Richard Stallman  (rms at mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu)
+
[...]
+
+ 	* font-lock.el: New file.

I was using Emacs then.  :-)

vim-3.0, released in August 1994, has no similar feature.

Every so often a gvim user tells me about some great new feature that
they've found... and almost without fail it is something I've been
using for a long time in Emacs...  :-)

So, if you want the most mature implementation of <pick-a-feature>,
you know where to go...  :-)

    Hal> Editor wars are so 1990s. We're all about Revision Control
    Hal> wars now. :-)

Heh.  Yeah, although things were more cut-and-dried in the 1990s.
Emacs had a bunch of features not found anywhere else and the vi
people were seeing glimmers of hope in vim...  ;-)

peace & happiness,
martin