[clug] Syntax-highlighting source code editors

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Fri Jun 27 09:29:24 GMT 2008

Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> For the last three or so years I've been using Gedit, the standard text editor
> in GNOME.  It has syntax highlighting for a bunch of languages including Perl,
> Python, Pascal and a huge range of others including HTML, Lua and tcl.

Vim does that.

> It has a very useful 'snippets' feature which I've got into

I'm sure Vim does that.

> The things that Gedit doesn't do that Nedit does are: allow you to have
> multiple 'bookmarks' in the text,

Vim does that.

> allow you to split the window and work in two places of the same file

Vim does that.

> and Gedit's idea of a sensible colour scheme to develop code in is ugly.

Err.. How ugly? Vim has two default schemes, one for bright backgrounds
and one for dark. And of course they're configurable.

And Vim has my favourite feature... I don't need to move my hands away
from the keyboard (not even to the cursor keys!) to use it effectively.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au