[clug] Syntax-highlighting source code editors

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Fri Jun 27 09:21:20 GMT 2008

steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> What source code editors do people use that do syntax-highlighting?

My day-to-day work is done in Eclipse, but I'm a professional Java
developer. If you're after a good text editor with syntax highlighting,
Vim is light, fast, highly capable and configurable.

> Would like PERL and HTML as well and be able to write a 'lua' or 'tcl'
> syntax as well.
>
> Do I have to go to 'Eclipse'?

For Java development, Eclipse is the duck's nuts. Also quite good for
XML. For other languages... maybe it's not the best. It does have
plugins available for C/C++, Python, and probably other languages.

> Platform is Linux initially.
> If it works really well, OS/X too.
> And any recommendations for the Wonderful World of Windows would be
> appreciated - but not high priority just now...

Vim runs everywhere.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au