[clug] Anyone used or seen the Asus Eeepc yet? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Fri Jun 27 03:39:30 GMT 2008

Hi Antti, all,

On 27/06/2008, at 1:22 PM, Roppola, Antti - BRS wrote:
> I know of a number of people who have bought them and love them.
> Lots of them have installed Ubuntu. Good value for the money.

Got one for Phoebe and I concur. Although I kept the original OS
(Xandros with ASUS foo).

> My other half overheard the sales dude at JB suggesting one as a
> solution for a grey nomad couple, including installing Ubuntu
> instead. :o)

Got for suggesting this machine.

Not-so-good for suggestion to reintall the thing with Ubuntu. For that
couple, what's the point? Replacing the OS is geek indulgence.
The default setup is quite functional, can be tweaked without
replacement (stuff added and menus enabled), and provides a good
system without the usual clutter that confuses regular users.
I don't anticipate any "regular users" on this list, but let's try to
see this from their perspective before making such funky suggestions.

The default OS is Xandros (Debian based) with some tweaks. People may
dislike it for all kinds of geek reasons, but I'd suggest that all
those reasons are completely irrelevant for the average user. In
addition, the risk of installing something else and having the users
trip and move away from this machine or the Linux-based OS (i.e. going
for Windows) is rather high. Past evangelisation and zealous
deployment exercises have proved this in abundance. Let's not keep
making that mistake.

Mind you, of all the distros, Ubuntu is probably the most sensible one
for average users. However, ASUS has done a nice job with their tweaks
on Xandros, using IceWM and various settings to declutter and provide
a pretty neat functional system. The wifi setup is even easy, the
printer setup works, and so on. It's good! So for this particular
machine, let's not try to convert the world. It's already Linux!

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Founder @ Open Query