[clug] Syntax-highlighting source code editors

David david at tulloh.id.au
Fri Jun 27 01:55:48 GMT 2008

steve jenkin wrote:
> What source code editors do people use that do syntax-highlighting?
>
> I need to be able to handle Borland Pascal (Delphi).
>
> Would like PERL and HTML as well and be able to write a 'lua' or 'tcl'
> syntax as well.

I'm a solid vim user and fan.  Vim 7 ships with syntax files for 481
file types with more available online, it includes all the file types
you need out of the box.

There's a bit of a learning curve with vim but you can probably get your
head around it for day to day usage if you just stick with it for a few
hours.  The built in help is fairly good and you can discover the more
advanced features as you go.  I think I now know about 20% of vim's
features and I've been using it for years.

As an added bonus Vim will run on basically anything, I use it daily on
Windows and Linux without issue.

David