[clug] Syntax-highlighting source code editors

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 01:52:47 GMT 2008

Hi Andrew,
  I would normally suggest emacs/xemacs but recently I have been
playing with jed which is great - it has emulation for emacs, and vi
and great syntax highlighting. Its a great substitute for emacs when
you dont want something quite as large - or, as i was, finding myself
having to develop of a 500mhz embedded system.

Editors and IDEs are so plagued with personal preferences that you
risk starting a huge flame war asking about them here.... Most editors
have source code highlighting these days and most are quite good (even
gedit is not bad).

I personally prefer a console based editor because I can run in it
screen, detach it and ssh back from somewhere else and keep working
where i left it... IMHO you cant really beat that for functionality.
Also I find large fonts with black backgrounds and strong syntax
highlighting colors better for looking at for long time.

Michael.