[clug] Anyone used or seen the Asus Eeepc yet?

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 23:29:27 GMT 2008

Hey John,

Yep, I've got one too. It's a 4G model. I've still got Xandros running on
it, mostly for the very good reason of, well, apathy :P There is grand plans
for eeedora at a later date, but that relies on me finding time and, err,
inclination.

Right now, I'm stoked with it. Since I bought it as something to play with,
rather than something I had a grand master plan for, I've found I use it
mostly for taking around to friend's houses (with an external HDD) to show
off pics, and for lazy mornings sitting in the sun on the verandah.

The solid-state disc means it does tend to run a bit sluggishly sometimes,
but other than that I have experienced no problems at all. The quick
startup/shutdown makes the slugishness in other areas that much easier to
bear. The battery life is relatively short, but the power pack is not much
larger than a normal appliance, and easy enough to carry with you. When I
bought it, I had the thing set up and online within about 10 minutes. They
don't call it eee for nothing, I guess ;)

I recently sent it with my (non-technical and very non-linux) parents on a
road trip and they used it to get online in various hotels. Mum has since
been raving about how easy Linux is to her friends now!

Go for it .... you know you want one ;)

Cheers,
Lana

2008/6/26 jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au>:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a very light weight computer for travel.  I saw the Asus
> EeePC advertised.  It appears to have (with options):
>
> Custom Linux based on Xandros Distribution
> Intel Celeron M 900 Processor
> 1GB DDR2 667MHz Memory
> 20GB (4GB built-in +16GB flash) SSD
> 8.9" LCD 1024x600
> 1.3MP Web Camera
> VGA Out
> 802.11b/g Wireless
> 10/100 Ethernet
> Battery Life: Upto 3hrs
> Weight: from 0.99kg
>
> I may replace the Linux with something else.  I expect I can use this
> for browsing and documents plus connect to a larger LCD screen for at
> home.
>
> Has anyone used it?  Anything I should be wary of?
>
> Ta.
>

> John
> --

Cheers! Lana