[clug] Off topic: OS/X USB boot device for 'normal' PC'S

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 26 01:30:41 GMT 2008

I just wanted to wade in and support what Neill and Hugh (and some
others) have already stated, which is not so off-topic a discussion
for us to have.

Fact: Apple own the rights to MacOS/X (and lots of other software).
As FOSS adherents, we need to acknowledge that.

Fact: Apple clearly don't want MacOS/X running on hardware they didn't
make/brand/label - the wording in the license may be a little weak,
but their intention is clear enough.

Fact: this list is about Linux and FOSS, which MacOS/X clearly isn't
(some have tried to convince me that it is "based on *BSD" - so what?).

So, we shouldn't really be discussing ways of by-passing Apples rights
to restrict the use of their software. Instead, as Hugh has already
invited us to do, we should be looking at what FOSS alternatives exist
for Apple proprietry software and also be promoting the many fine
pieces of FOSS that do run on MacOSX.

Anyway, that's my point of view. And I don't really think it is all
that relevant "what the vast majority of computer users want to do"
(sorry for quoting you, Michael). What is relevant is how we, as FOSS
users and advocates, treat and respect others rights to their licensed
software as we would hope that they would respect our rights to use
the various OSS licenses for the software we develop and use.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.