[clug] Off topic: OS/X USB boot device for 'normal' PC'S

Hugh Fisher hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 25 03:36:44 GMT 2008

steve jenkin wrote:
> Well put - I think that a complete and precise description of the
> legals. I comes down to individual ethics/action.

In this case I see the legal situation as being ethically
sound as well.

> If Apple (or Microsoft) offered their products at "reasonable" prices,
> most, but not all, people who violate the licence restrictions would
> simply pay. If your company is addicted to insane profits, then you
> fight everyone to keep the status quo.

If Apple don't offer their product at what you consider
a reasonable price, then do as Neill suggested and *use
something else*

Apple do not have a monopoly over the supply of computer
operating systems. You have a choice. They do not have a
monopoly over the means of distribution which would allow
them to control access to other operating systems. Nor
does the existence and price of Macintosh OS X prevent
the development of other operating systems - Linux is
existence proof. You don't like Mac OS, look elsewhere!

Fair Trade coffee exists because people were willing to
buy alternatives. Large chains like Starbucks (I think?)
switch to using Fair Trade coffee because the customers
demonstrate that's what they want. If you want to make
a stand against a sports shoe company for using 3rd
world sweatshop labour, you don't do so by stealing
their track shoes; you buy from someone else, and let
the company know you're doing so.

--
	Hugh Fisher
	DCS, ANU