[clug] Using Lenovo Win-XP in (ubuntu) VM

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Tue Jun 24 09:34:08 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 11:54 +1000, steve jenkin wrote:
[snip]

> My questions:
>  - Does anyone actually run something like this?

I'm surprised virtualbox is as slow as you describe - it shouldn't be,
even without hardware acceleration (and I should think it would be as
fast, if not faster than vmware-server 1.x).

You can check if you have acceleration with:

egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If so, you might just need to turn it on in the virtualbox settings.

>  - Does anyone run Delphi under WINE or CrossOver?
>    My experience with the Borland's Kylix was dismal.
>
>  - How do I create a VM from the physical partition?
>    - I couldn't see how to do this under VirtualBox.
>    - I'm not sure if VMware Server can do this.
>    - Perhaps using VMware player to run an image created
>      under the Workstation trial might work.
>    - Do any of the XEN versions support this?

You can do this with VMware's convert desktop tool - you install it
under your native Windows guest and tell it to create an image on an
external drive.

"http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/"

You can then convert that image to virtualbox or QEMU images with dd and
or the vmware2libvirt tool.

"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM?highlight=(kvm)#head-5171263fa4ced01234745297c2f0be1631f06889"

>  - Is there somewhere I can get hold of Win-XP media free/cheap?
>    The laptop comes with a (valid?) license key.
>
>  - Are there any other VM's or solutions I should be considering?

I'm surprised virtualbox is as slow as you describe - it shouldn't be,
even without hardware acceleration (and I should think it would be as
fast, if not faster than vmware-server 1.x).

You can check if you have acceleration with:

egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If so, you might just need to turn it on in the virtualbox settings.

As for Windows media, any OEM CD of the same version (i.e. home or
professional) will work. If you want to, you can purchase media from
Microsoft for some $40-odd.

-c