[clug] ATI drivers and Ubuntu/linux in general

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 10:25:48 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:02, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:
> But, it shouldn't be too hard to try as apt-get build-dep
> xserver-xorg-video-ati should still bring in all required dev libs. Then
> just try your old package with checkinstall or something?

Well thanks for all the replies, in the end I just went and bit the
bullet..  For those who also might happen to want to do this  (or are
using the google) here is what I did:

1. Booted into hardy

2. removed fglrx and ati

   # apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-fglrx

3. fiddled in /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced all hardy's with feisty

   (in vi)  :%s/hardy/feisty/

4. updated

   # apt-get update

5. got the package and prereqs

   # apt-get install x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xf86misc-dev \
         x11proto-fonts-dev libdrm-dev x11proto-xf86dri-dev quilt
xserver-xorg-dev

   # cd /root/
   # apt-get source xserver-xorg-video-ati

6. built it

   # cd xserver-xorg-video-ati-6.6.3/
   # dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b

   (ignore a few warnings about dire things not happening due to
missing symbols and the likes)

7. installed it

   # cd ..
   # dpkg --install --force-all xserver-xorg-video-ati_6.6.3-2ubuntu6_i386.deb

   (there are a few warnings that must be forced)

8. Copied in my old xorg.conf then restarted

Voila!

Mind you now I have to sort out how to "pin" my version of
xserver-xorg-video-ati such that dpkg/apt stops complaining... time
for another odyssey.

Thanks again all.