[clug] ATI drivers and Ubuntu/linux in general

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Fri Jun 20 08:09:51 GMT 2008

Hal Ashburner wrote:

> Out of interest, what would $distro_of_choice have in their kernel
> that linus & co. upstream would reject? I'm sure there are good
> reasons for running distro kernels rather than kernel.org kernels, but
> what are they?

The big reason is testing.  The kernel no longer has a stable/unstable
branch, they just have a development branch (with sub-branches).  So
when the kernel is released it has bugs in it, which are fixed in the
next version but that has new features and they have bugs too etc.

The distributions grab a version and stick to it.  They backport bug
fixes from the later kernel versions into their kernel version but
ignore the new features.  So you end up with a stable, well tested and
less buggy kernel.

David