[clug] Linux Webcam

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 13:34:19 GMT 2008

Hey there Clug,
So I'd like a really, really nice webcam that works well on linux. I've
heard that the Apple iSight is the bees knees but they don't seem to
make it anymore. So I thought I'd ask, how does one go about selecting a
webcam (or more generally, any new funky hardware) so that it will work
with linux?
Mapping drivers from the kernel to actual models you can buy seems
somewhat difficult. I have some sort of rubbishy logitec quickam
$something that doesn't work that I bought a few years ago that doesn't
work to prove it (or at least prove my general inadequacy and
ignornace). Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Hal