[clug] My windows box got rooted last week... how at risk is Linux?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 04:30:54 GMT 2008

> Running a recent Linux with SELinux and behind a firewall will make you
> fairly safe.  But also make sure you use decent passwords, run chkrootkit
> and the like occasionally, don't use root unnecessarily and check your
> logs.

Whereas running a 2.4.27 kernel machine with port 22 open to the world
for ssh with a weak password or a 2.6.20 Debian machine with the
compromised openSSH server is a recipe to turn your network into a
zombie for bulk scripted attacks.

Allegedly. Of course I don't know anyone silly enough to have such a
network. No sir.

Anyway, the rootkitted box has been rebuilt with a 2.6.24 kernel and etc, etc.

--
MC