[clug] My windows box got rooted last week... how at risk is Linux?

Grant Baldwin Grant.Baldwin at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 11 00:29:15 GMT 2008

Try `grep Failed /var/log/auth/log` on an internet exposed box.

I would say there is enough activity out there that doing something stupid can get you in trouble. As with windows boxes though, hiding behind NAT and not executing untrustworthy files as a privileged user will eliminate practically all problems for a home user.

(Windows just has the unfortunate situation of making the default user account sufficiently privileged to be troublesome)