[clug] June CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Jun 10 10:55:53 GMT 2008

Jacinta Richardson <jarich at perltraining.com.au> writes:
> David Tulloh wrote:
>> I hate that git doesn't work very well on windows.
>
> It works gorgeously under cygwin according to Paul.

Performance under Cygwin was notoriously limited, at least
traditionally, by virtue of git being I/O and fork heavy, and
Cygwin performing poorly in those areas.[1]

However, msysgit is a native port that addresses some of the worst
excesses of the product, and is merging back into the upstream tree.

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Generally through no fault of its own.[2]

[2]  ...though, arguably, in part due to the lack of support for
     `spawn' the general range of POSIX operating systems, making
     starting new commands gratuitously slow on the (conformant) POSIX
     platforms that don't implement the optional fork operation.