[clug] Re: Short term 3G internet? (linux Digest, Vol 66, Issue 3, Item 1)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 02:23:20 GMT 2008

People,
	Apologies for stepping on this thread kind-of late in the piece, but
it just became relevant to me and I thought I might share.

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:28:39 +1000
> From: "Grant Morphett" <grant at gmorph.com>
>
> 6 months ago I signed up to a 3 mobile plan and didn't have to go onto
> contract.  At the same time I signed up to an X-Series data plan
> and again
> no contract required.  This means I could be on both plans for a
> month and
> cancel everything.  Would require you to have a HSDPA compatible
> handset but
> I reckon this would be your best bet for short term wireless internet
> providing they still offer it.

	I also got onto 3 service a short time ago (on contract though).
I've got a "toy-town" data plan right now, but was considering
upgrading to a "Voltron" one while I wait the 2 calendar aeons for a
phone line to be installed in my new flat (Moved to Sydney for work -
I still "live" in Canberra though). AFAIK, no 3 data plans involve
contracts - they're month-to-month recurring charges you can change/
drop whenever you want (charging rounded-up to the month).
	It came as a bit of a disappointment to me to read in the fine print
that when "roaming" off the 3/3.5G service, your data usage is not
credited to your plan, but charged outright at, as you'd expect, some
ridiculously high rate.
	For me, this is a show-stopper as my flat and the station I'll be
twiddling my thumbs at most of the time both have a lot of stone/
concrete around them and not much "3" service.
	At least I might be able to treat my Internet addiction while I wait
for the phone line to get here.

Just thought you'd like to know.

M0les.