[clug] Subversive "windows" linux/ubuntu machine.

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Jul 31 03:58:05 GMT 2008

Hi Andrew

If you build the windows VM up, then log in normally, right click on "My
Computer", select "remote", then put a tick in "allow users to connect
remotely to this computer", users can then use the tsclient software in
linux to "log in" to the machine, and with suitable settings, it
presents itself as a fullscreen session. I've done this at a client site
where I've put a XP vm on their ESX cluster, and I can essentially
hotdesk anywhere in the organization that has either the windows RDP
client, or will boot a suitably handrolled live CD.

Downside is, you can't do the VDI stuff with multiple people on one
machine, as the XP version of remote desktop only likes one user logged
in at a time, but this does allow you to do anything you need interms of
suspending+backups, etc.

Steve.

--
--==--