[clug] IPv6 Australia?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sat Jul 26 02:07:17 GMT 2008

Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> That would be the rich people who invested lots of time and staff salary
> dollars in developing the Internet in the first place...

I have no problem with people making money from the work they do. I do
have a problem with people refusing to give up communal resources that
they got for nothing and that was never needed or used.

> I have a single IPv4 address at home. I have a single web-server
> sitting on/behind that address. I can (and do) "publish" several
> websites on that address. Anything serious goes to a web-hosting
> company (ala the "big players"?). I suspect that most people would
> operate this way, even if they did have 2^64 IPv6 addresses at home.

I also operate a web server and a few other services behind a NAT device.
I'm not ignorant of what can be done. You miss one important point
though: You're on good friendly terms with the administrator of your NAT
device. If your ISP were to give you an RFC1918 address instead of a real
IP address and keep you behind NAT you'd be screwed. And that's what's
going to happen.

> those devices have a very small CPU (and carbon foot-print) and I
> don't want to have to set up all sorts of firewall rules on them or
> on their behalf on my stateful firewall.

Peter already pointed out this argument is not valid.

Also, you seem to be confusing a stateful firewall with NAT.

> IPv4 will eventually go away. Whether it is replaced with IPv6 or some
> other much more exciting protocol, we'll wait and see. I suspect that
> a new "killer-app" protocol will come along before IPv6 is widely
> adopted and we'll end up jumping over it (cf. FDDI back in the 90s).

I'd be happy enough with that too. Anything that kills NAT and equalises
the net is good.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au