[clug] Re: Printer Woes

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Tue Jul 22 00:12:03 GMT 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008 22:00:24 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> [clug] Printer woes
>  From: "Pilcher, Fred" <Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au>
>  To: "CLUG List" <linux at lists.samba.org>
>
> I downloaded and installed a driver for a Canon LBP3000 for a friend
> (Kubuntu Hardy). All went well - the printer was visible and all
> settings were available, but it wouldn't print. Then I rebooted the
> computer and, as it polled the USB ports, the printer ejected a perfect
> test page that I'd sent it. Still no luck trying to print normally.
>
> Clearly the pages are getting to the printer, but it's not ejecting
> completed pages.
>
> Does anyone have any sage advice?

One aspect to be aware of is that USB printers apparently need to be powered
up and plugged in at time of configuration, for the settings to be activated.
That might explain why the test page prints after reboot.

As far as "Hardy" is concerned,  I am not an Ubuntu user, but I've heard the
generic comment that is that its USB Printer woes are well reported in
various forums.  Apparently no  solution as of last Thursday .

Similar thing happened, for all printers, with OpenSUSE at a time they were
implementing a different permissions regime for the printer.  Basically:

	setup is done with root permissions and the inbuilt test page gets to the
printer (eventually ?)

	user did not initially get permission to the printer and nothing happened
with any user generated jobs.

Solution with OpenSUSE (then - no longer required) was to run lppasswd and set
non-root permission to the printer.  You might need to check the printer
documentation for Hardy on  this aspect.

> Thanks,
>
> Fred

Rod