[clug] Fit for purpose?

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Sun Jul 6 22:45:44 GMT 2008

Chris wrote:

> A belated thought for your Fred - I'm pretty sure the
> Microsoft EULA says if you don't agree with the license, then
> return the product to your place of purchase for a full refund.
>
> So she should be able to fight for her right to get a refund
> on Vista only, and keep the machine. Sure, Dell won't want to
> do that and will probably tell her to get the refund from
> Microsoft, BUT Dell sold it to her so she should get her
> refund from Dell (and then Dell should claim it up stream
> from Microsoft). I'm pretty sure this would be in line with
> consumer law in Australia.
>
> Anyone on CLUG list actually bothered to fight for this? (Or
> do we all secretly like having a spare copy of Windows around?)

Thanks Chris.

It could be, though judging from what it took her to get the refund I
don't think she'd want to go through the hassles. Also, she actually
wants a copy of Windows "just in case". Not a bad idea, of course. I
always recommend that people keep Windows around as a dual boot option
while they find their way and get comfortable with Linux.

It's an interesting and important question, though. It'd be good to have
a definitive answer.

Cheers,

Fred