[clug] Any Public Service organisations using Linix desktop and Open Office?

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:50:41 GMT 2008

> As a UNIX systems administrator, giving users that taste for unlimited
> power is my worst nightmare. I want nothing of it. I want them to be
> under lock and key for their entire software development / delivery /
> usage life cycle.

Funny.  While this is the mantra that seems to be around I have been
pleasantly surprised to find that given some users such power
generally makes for less problems/requests.  Granted this is usually
done via judicious application of sudo that is  Of course everything
"important" is monitored (important == things that if changed will
break everything) via cfengine.

Surprising as it might seem I have found that this works well in a
group of 280 users (with about hald of them with local sudo privs) as
well as in a group of 5-10 in which all of them have sudo.  Perhaps my
experience is different. ;)

But then I'm not a sysadmin, more of a systems programmer who happens
to do sysadmin.