[clug] Any Public Service organisations using Linix desktop and Open Office?

Tomasz Ciolek tmc at vandradlabs.com.au
Wed Jul 2 10:07:04 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 04:41:19PM +1000, Chris Wallis wrote:
> I can say with out a doubt there is no Linux desktops in a Federal Public
> Service environment due to the lack of desktop distributions that has been
> certified under Common Criteria evaluation. (See

Thats actually not ture. I work in IT secuiryt and I can tell, that you right
now, that Most Australian Govenrment departments don't run any run of the mill
 desktops in CC complaint mode or configuration. The line is ACSI33 that
says you must consider CC evaluated systems before any other is just a
guideline and is generally discarted and not even brought up in most
procurement.

I believe that the reason that there is no Linux penetration in the
desktop space is because of the preception that:

a) it is immature and hard to support
b) it is expensive to retrain staff to use new systems
c) there is no vendor we can sue in case of disaster , hence higher
risk.
d) it is generally easier to not chnage things that 'we invested so much
money in'
e) linux is like Unix, its a server OS

At least that my $0.05.

--