[clug] Any Public Service organisations using Linix desktop and Open Office?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Jul 2 08:07:02 GMT 2008

Evaluation assurance level 1 (EAL1) - functionally tested
Evaluation assurance level 2 (EAL2) - structurally tested
Evaluation assurance level 3 (EAL3) - methodically tested and checked
Evaluation assurance level 4 (EAL4) - methodically designed, tested,
and reviewed
Evaluation assurance level 5 (EAL5) - semiformally designed and tested
Evaluation assurance level 6 (EAL6) - semiformally verified design and
tested
Evaluation assurance level 7 (EAL7) - formally verified design and
tested

Wow, Windows is methodically designed, tested and reviewed?

I seem to remember that to get to CC on a system you have to seriously
tie the system down.  (ie
"it should only be considered secure in the assumed, specified
circumstances, also known as the evaluated configuration, specified by
Microsoft"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Criteria#Value_of_Certification)

   I wonder if the systems in use in the PS are tied down correctly ie
are actually running at EAL4+ or are just potentially running CC and
it's just being used as a way to exclude linux?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961